Based in Helsinki, Finland
30 May 2013
PSN NA 5 Aug 2014
PSN EU 6 Aug 2014
The Swapper is an atmospheric puzzle platformer set in the furthest reaches of space. Players wield an experimental device able to clone the user and swap control between them. Dropped into a character and world as mysterious as the workings of the device itself, The Swapper is a game of exploration of a very personal nature.
All of the art in The Swapper is constructed using clay models and other everyday materials.
The Swapper is supported by Indie Fund and holder of numerous awards and accolades, including PAX 10, IndieCade and Indie Game Challenge. It was released on Steam at the end of May 2013.
- Challenge: Fiendish puzzles whose solutions are only ever a few steps away
- Isolation: Classic sci-fi atmosphere inspired by the likes of 2001: A Space Odyssey and Solaris
- Wonder: A world built out of clay
- Mystery: Narrative design from Tom Jubert, writer behind indie hits Penumbra and FTL
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "PAX 10 Selection." 2012
- "Freeplay Best International Game Winner." 2011
- "IndieCade Special Recognition Award Winner." 2011
- "Develop Conference Indie Showcase Winner." 2011
- "Game Connection Selected Projects Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Award Winner." 2011
- "Indie Game Challenge Finalist." 2012
- "Nordic Game Indie Night Finalist." 2012
- "Independent Propeller Awards Grand Prize Nominee." 2012
- "IndieCade Art Award Nominee." 2011
- "IndieCade Audio Award Nominee." 2011
- "Mindtrek Indie Games Awards Finalist." 2011
- "I came away from The Swapper with nothing but amazement. From the first time you see the literally hand-crafted visuals until the final moment in the game, which is sure to give you pause for thought, you will be in complete awe. Brilliant puzzles with even more brilliant solutions compliment the philosophical plotline, leaving an unforgettable experience unlike any other."
- Patrick Hancock, Destructoid
- "The Swapper tempted me with ingenious puzzles, transported me to a fully realized science-fiction world, and made me ask questions about mortality and morality that few video games have ever dared to explore. Very few puzzle games have ever managed to marry impeccable challenges with a mature storytelling quite like this – there's no fluff or extraneous content here, only a prime example of how to create a tight, unforgettable gaming experience."
- Marty Sliva, IGN
- "It didn’t take me long to fall in love with The Swapper; it continuously surprised and impressed me from its intriguing first moments to its fantastic ending."
- Dan Ryckey, Game Informer
- "Even before the brain-teasing potential of such a limber system becomes apparent, the elegance of the controls makes a huge impression. There's a wonderfully gliding smoothness to the way you move the neon silhouette of a would-be clone across the landscape before placing it, as if you're extending the slide of a trombone."
- Christian Donlan, Eurogamer
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
About Facepalm Games
Facepalm Games is a tiny independent game developer based in Helsinki, Finland, and is composed of two full time staff and two freelancers. The studio believes the video game landscape is still largely unexplored, and aspires to facepalm in ways wholly original to the medium. Facepalm's first game is The Swapper, a sci-fi puzzle platformer supported by Indie Fund, featured in the PAX10, holder of numerous awards and accolades, including IndieCade and Indie Game Challenge.
More information on Facepalm Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
The Swapper Credits
Designer, Artist, Programmer, Founder
Music, Sound Design, Freelancer
Writer, Narrative Designer, Freelancer